Justice for Mike Brown isn’t something people should have to fight for.
It’s heartbreaking and infuriating and I can’t even imagine for a second what his family members are going through. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be a young black man in America walking to school or work today, knowing that even if you are shot down in the street there is no recourse.
A few things we can do with our anger and frustration today:
- Make a donation to the Ferguson Public Library, which is providing safe space for people during this time and facilitating programs for chidren and teens during the school shut downs. (Click here for their website, donation button is in the top right corner.)
- Make a donation to the National Legal Guild which is providing legal support to protesters and ensuring legal observers are on the front lines.
- Sign this petition urging President Obama and the Attorney General to secure justice for Mike Brown. And sign this one demanding national change to address police violence and misconduct.
- Send your condolences to the family of Mike Brown here.
- Let members of the black community speak. Listen to what they have to say. Give people space for their anger and fears.
- Tell anyone who says this is not an issue of race to fuck right off.