Why do you want to?
Both before intake and after those rare occasions when treatment is deemed complete, the Institute keeps tabs on its prospective and retrospective subjects via personnel in the field. Thanks to the advance of technology such as webcams, GPS tracking, and activity bands, this process is now easier and more comprehensive than ever, but written documents such as Outpatient Surveillance Report 5A-244 still play an important role in building up a clear record for assessment, diagnosis, and intake–or even re-intake, in special cases.
(As always, if you have documents in this vein you’re interested in contributing, the Institute will consider your submission.)
I recently retired this Jimmyjane Form 3 vibrator after years of honorable service, and I was curious enough about its inner workings to… well, perform surgery on it. I learned some interesting things!
As you can see above, the shell of the toy is two layers of silicone–a gray inner layer, which gives it structure, and a pink outer one that wraps it in form. I had assumed the arch at the top was a piece of rigid plastic or something, but no, it’s all just silicone, as are the little plugs that keep the whole thing seated in the main vibrator assembly (which IS hard plastic–see below).
I haven’t taken this apart yet, but I expect to find a battery, a little piece of breadboard to handle timing, and the LED that lights up that little window to show that the toy is charging. (That metal dome on the bottom is the charging contact that rests against the base, which is notoriously a little tricky to get seated just right.)
My guess is they assemble this thing in stages: injection-mold the plastic assembly shell, drop in the electronics and screw it shut, paint some glue on the outside, place that in a new mold and inject the gray silicone shape, place THAT in the final mold and inject the colored silicone, and finally seal on the charging cap. The only apparent glue was on the hard plastic, which makes me think the heat of the molding process sticks the silicone shells together seamlessly. If there are sprues from filling the mold, they must be on the bottom, where the cap attaches. It’s a neat way to make a seamless assembly–which not only looks lovely, but keeps it watertight.
The actual motor is really strong for its size! When I switched it on post-dissection, it rattled VERY loudly on the operating table and walked itself around in circles as captured above. Immediately after this video was taken, it shook itself hard enough to snap one of the two little wires connecting the motor to the battery. I’ve been tinkering with a few DIY sex toys lately, I and I had vague thoughts about trying to incorporate this into a different apparatus, but I’ll have to see if I can solder the wire back together first. I’ll be sure to update if I do.